Developers are “absolutely determined” to deliver a £50 million film and TV studio in Liverpool’s Littlewoods building despite a huge blaze at the iconic site.

Firefighters have been fighting the fire, which began after 7pm on Sunday evening, through the night and have now put out the blaze.

Part of the art deco structure is feared to have been destroyed, including the roof and upper floor of one of its wings.

Three months ago plans for a major new complex at the five-storey site were announced, which included a northern base for Twickenham Studios and would create hundreds of jobs.

The part of the building earmarked for the studios is unaffected by the fire. Tim Heatley, co-founder of developer Capital & Centric, told BusinessCloud that it remains committed to the project.

"The building is still standing but we’ll get a proper look at it this morning to assess damage,” he said at around 5.50am on Monday.

"We’re absolutely determined to deliver the film studios no matter what."

Littlewoods

The building before the fire

Merseyside Fire Service said there had been no injuries while there are no concerns over the integrity of the building, which has been empty since 2003.

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson tweeted on Sunday evening: "Absolutely heartbreaking news that the iconic Littlewoods Building is ablaze… let's hope and pray it's salvageable."