Glorious night for trio of Manchester tech entrepreneurs
It was a golden night for three Manchester tech entrepreneurs at the fifth annual Northern Tech Awards.
More than 200 people attended last night’s glittering ceremony, which identified the region's 100 fastest-growing tech firms and handed out a number of individual awards.
Steve Oliver, CEO of Music Magpie, won the Judges’ Entrepreneur of the Year Award while the Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award went to Nicholas Mealey, managing director of Connex One, a cloud-based, omni-channel engagement platform.
The Judges’ Award for International Success went to WiFi specialists Purple, which is run by CEO Gavin Wheeldon, who writes the popular Gadget Gavin column in BusinessCloud.
Other big winners on the night were AI experts Peak, which won the Judges’ Innovation Award and Chester-based Sykes Cottages, which walked away with the Judges’ Leadership Award.
2018 Northern Tech Awards Winners:
- The Region’s Top Northern Star from the competition run by Tech North: BigChange, Leeds
- Fastest Growing Company of the Year (with revenues under £10m): In Touch Networks, Manchester
- Fastest Growing Larger Company of the Year (with revenues over £10m): Evolution Funding, Chesterfield
- Judges’ Innovation Award: Peak AI, Manchester
- Judges’ Award for International Success: Purple, Manchester
- Judges’ Leadership Award: Sykes Cottages, Chester
- Tech4Good Award: Virtual College, Ilkley
- Judges’ Young Entrepreneur Award: Nicholas Mealey, Connex One, Manchester
- Judges’ Entrepreneur Award: Steve Oliver, MusicMagpie, Manchester
- Overall Judges’ Award: Performance Horizon, Newcastle