Samsung has stopped production of its troubled Note 7 smartphone after claims that the replacement devices are still at risk of catching fire.

The Korean electronics giant said it has “temporarily” halted production after talks with safety regulators.

It added that it was "adjusting the production schedule to ensure quality and safety matters".

In September Samsung issued a recall of the original devices after dozens of them caught fire or emitted smoke.

Samsung blamed faulty batteries and began to issue replacement handsets, which it claimed were completely safe.

However last week a flight in the US was evacuated before it could take off when one of the newer models began to emit smoke.

In America, mobile carriers AT&T and T-Mobile said they would no longer replace Note 7s while T-Mobile added on its website: "While Samsung investigates multiple reports of issues, T-Mobile is temporarily suspending all sales of the new Note 7."

Samsung stated on Monday: "We continue to move quickly to investigate the reported case to determine the cause and will share findings as soon as possible.

"If we conclude a product safety issue exists, we will work with the CPSC (US Consumer Product Safety Commission) to take immediate steps to address the situation."

READ MORE: BlackBerry to stop designing smartphones